(Revised 11/2006) 1.
Five Year Plan
Donnellson Public Library
The Donnellson Public Library shall meet the informational needs of the community by providing high-interest popular materials in a variety of formats to encourage recreational and educational reading. The Library shall facilitate wholesome recreation for all ages, as well as constructive use of leisure time by encouraging people to use the library. The Donnellson Public Library shall maintain an attractive facility with up-to-date technological resources that support the library environment, and allow for the use of its facilities by all members of the local community and surrounding area of Lee County.
This will be accomplished by the following goals, to be evaluated annually by the Board of Trustees:
1. Donnellson Public Library patrons will find a balanced collection of current materials.
2. The Library Staff and Board of Trustees will strive to identify and serve the needs of all Donnellson Library patrons.
3. The Library Board of Trustees and the Director will hire and train staff and support personnel
to serve the needs of the Patrons of the Donnellson Library.
4. The Donnellson Library will cooperate with other libraries and agencies in Lee County and the State of Iowa in order to draw from a wider variety of library materials, maintain accreditation and provide additional services to patrons.
5. The Library Staff and Board of Trustees will maintain a friendly, clean, safe and inviting facility to serve the needs of area patrons.
6. The Director and Board of Trustees will encourage involvement of Donnellson citizens, and the residents of county townships nearby, in the support for the Library and its mission.
7. The Board of Directors and staff of the Donnellson Public library will continue to maintain and
to improve access to computers, the Internet, and other technological innovations in demand by the patrons of the Library.
GOAL 1 -- Donnellson Public Library Patrons will find a balanced collection of current materials that fulfill their needs. The following objectives will be evaluated annually:
1. The Staff will complete output measures as required by the State Library of Iowa.
2. The Staff will take note of requests for books not currently held in the library, and encourage
patrons to fill-out “Material Request Form”.
3. The Director will make purchases based on worthy requests by patrons.
4. The Director will purchase materials in a variety of requested formats, including music CD’s, DVD’s videocassettes, graphic novels, etc.
5. The Director will keep the collection current by annually weeding a minimum of 3% from the collection, and adding a minimum of 3% to the collection.
6. The Director and staff will make detailed cataloging entries, and make signs to direct patrons to needed materials, in order to make the collection easy to access.
GOAL 2— Library Staff and the Board of Trustees will strive to identify and serve the needs of all
Donnellson Library Patrons. The following objectives will be evaluated under the time frames listed.
1. The staff will provide information about the Library and its services by presenting programs at the local schools, care center, congregate meals site, service groups, etc., or providing current
Information in print form.
2. The staff and board will survey the patrons in the community every 4 years to determine if
changes need to be made in staffing, hours, services, or materials. The next survey will be in
the summer of 2007.
3. The Staff will publicize the availability of in-home delivery for Senior Citizens and those with disabilities twice yearly. The staff will maintain the rotating collection of materials, including Large-print books, Books on tape and CD, movies, and music CD’s at the Donnellson Health Center. Twice yearly, the library staff will send out informational
materials to the families of Health Center patrons, so that they know their family members
have access to library materials.
4. The staff will conduct a preschool story hour throughout the year.
5. The staff will conduct Summer Reading Programs and activities each summer, and will publicize the program in a flyer to be distributed at the library, and sent home to all K-6
grade students in May. Press releases will also be sent to 4 local papers to kick-off the Summer Reading Program before it begins.
6. The Director will purchase a minimum of ten parenting books annually
7. The staff will maintain a safe environment for children to play and learn in the library, and will
evaluate the safety of the environment each day.
8. The Library Director will develop a summer program for young adult and teen patrons beginning in the summer of 2007.
9. The Library Director will provide information to the Donnellson City Clerk to be included on the
Web site, www.donnellsoniowa.com.
GOAL 3— The Library Board of Trustees and the Director will hire and train staff and support personnel
to serve the needs of the Patrons of the Donnellson Library. These objectives will be evaluated during the
times listed below:
1. The Staff will be encouraged to develop and recommend to the Director and Board new methods, programs or techniques that better serve library patrons, and improve the working environment. This will be an ongoing task, to be evaluated and implemented throughout the year.
2. The Board and Director will provide a written performance evaluation, and go over it with each
staff member in November of each year.
3. The Library Director will participate in a minimum of four training workshops per year, and each
Staff member will participate in a minimum of two training workshops per year.
4. New Board members will be encouraged to take a workshop during their six-year term of service.
5. The Board will fund all travel and meal expenses for Library staff or Board members who attend classes or seminars.
GOAL 4 -- The Donnellson Library will cooperate with other libraries and agencies in Lee County and the State of Iowa in order to draw from a wider variety of materials, maintain accreditation and provide additional services to patrons.
1. The Library Director will attend all meetings of the Lee County Librarians, six times each year, and participate in any group training sessions offered by the County or Southeastern Iowa Library Services that are useful for the position.
2. The Library Board of Trustees will advocate for support by the State of Iowa and Lee County
for needed improvements. The Board of Trustees President and the Library Director will
attend any annual budget hearings they are invited to by the County Board of Supervisors.
3. The Donnellson Library will maintain its Tier 3 level standing in the Enrich Iowa State Library
system, and will submit timely reports and data to maintain its accreditation.
4. The Donnellson Public Library will maintain its Accreditation status through the State of Iowa by
performing all required tasks, and sending in timely reports and data each three years.
5. The Library Director will complete all requirements to maintain certification through the State of
Iowa each three years.
GOAL 5— The Library Staff and Board of Trustees will maintain a friendly, clean, safe and inviting facility to best serve the needs of area patrons. These objectives will be evaluated and implemented in the times
that are specified.
1. The Library Board of Trustees will ask the City of Donnellson to help in expanding or enlarging the facility, to include a place for children’s activities and meetings, and will meet with an architect beginning in the fall of 2006.
2. The Library staff will maintain the interior of the facility to present a tidy, uncluttered appearance, improve the storage areas of the facility for safety and easy access, and provide
safe, quick access to the furnace, tornado safety area, and electrical fuse boxes. These areas will be evaluated and maintained each day by the library staff.
3. The Library Director will call for a Fire Extinguisher Safety check each January.
4. The Library Board of Trustees will cooperate with the City of Donnellson to make improvements to the facility, or help in finding a new building within 5 years, if remodeling current building is not feasible.
5. The Library Board of Trustees will work with the Community Visioning Committee to improve
the landscaping on the exterior of the building.
GOAL 6— The Director and Board of Trustees will encourage involvement of Donnellson citizens to support Donnellson Library improvements and activities.
1. The Director will submit frequent news articles to the press regarding library activities.
2. The Staff will encourage any offers of volunteer help for its activities or day-to-day work at the
Library, and will post notices for volunteer opportunities at the library both in the library, and at
the high school.
3. The Director shall promote a local reading group by advertising it in the library at the beginning of each summer season. The Director will order books, and help provide facilities for the meetings of the book club.
4. The Director and members of the Board of Trustees will accept speaking engagements at
meetings of local service clubs, or community gatherings to promote the library, whenever possible.
5. The Library staff and Board of Trustees will encourage groups like the “Writer’s Bloc,” and the
“Tour of Homes,” to use our building for meetings, and provide reference materials to help
facilitate their efforts.
6. The Board of Trustees will cooperate with other Lee County Libraries in raising funds or lobbying to improve County funding.
7. The Board of Trustees will continue having an annual book sale during Apple Daze to raise
funds for the the library.
GOAL 7— The Board of Directors and staff of the Donnellson Public library will continue to maintain and
improve access to computers, the Internet, and other technological innovations in demand by the patrons of Donnellson.
1. The Library will continue to evaluate the age and functions of its computers, Internet connections, policies, and network each year, and add new or additional workstations or equipment as needed. Evaluation will occur annually.
2. The Library Director and Staff will take advantage of any training programs or workshops offered in the Southeastern Library Service area to improve knowledge and use of new technology.
3. The Library Director will purchase additional materials in CD and DVD format, and “playaway” MP3-type audio books, to better serve the patrons.
4. The Library Board of Trustees will work with the Local and Family History Department to evaluate the need for a new Microfilm reader or computer during the next five years.
5. The Library will make a computer reference center available for patrons within the next two
years, hook it into our network to access databases supplied by the State Library of Iowa,
and add CD-ROM encyclopedia resources.
Approved by the Donnellson Public Library Board of Trustees on:
Signed by Board President
Donnellson Public Library Strategic Plan
Items to be addressed in FY 2008-09
- Patron Survey: (every 4 yrs.) Needs to be done by Jan., 2008
- Young Adult Program: Has never been accomplished
- LSTA Grant Achieved: Meetings with George Lawson to determine
future needs of library begin in Nov. 15, 2007.
- Building needs: Determine future of building after completion of evaluation.
5. Building Committee: Form a Building Committee by December, 2007, consisting of at least one Trustee, and others in the community interested
in helping us achieve our building goals.